Summary of Archive Contents
Archive Contents and Stock Footage
The Harvey Richards Media Archive contents holds all of the original film and sound elements used by him to make 22 documentary films. The HRMA also holds film never used in a finished film, as well as his many “outs”, film which did not fit into the finished film. And lastly, the HRMA holds thousands of Harvey’s still photo images, black and white and color. All materials are available as stock footage and stock photos for licensing in books, newspapers, films, television, and other media, as are the finished films.
Here is a summary of the main subjects of this unused footage. For detailed description, see the PDF of Harvey Richards Archival Holdings.
Archive Contents and Stock Footage of California Farm Workers
Picket signs: “On strike for $1.25 AFL-CIO, AWCO-UPWA”, “Justicia para el trabajador del campo” “Mi Familia No Come Con 85 c por hora! UPWA”, “Huelga”, “Huelga Local 18B UPWA”
Picket lines: Close up of Mexican American faces on picket line calling workers out of fields; cops; Robert Kennedy at picket line; Dolores Huerta; DiGiorgio grape strikers with UFW flag; foreman carrying gun; AWOC picket; workers leaving field to join strikers, taking picket signs, signing up with union, getting off contractor’s bus and joining picketers
Living conditions: St. Mary’s Dining Room bread line with all races, mostly white, men migrant workers; eviction scene; rent strike; Black, Mexican and white families in migrant labor camps, living outdoors in tents, trucks, sleeping in fields, creek bed, cooking on open fires
Working conditions: peach, melon, cotton, plum, tomato, and carrot pickers; lettuce workers “sanitation” footage shows farm workers without facilities urinating in the fields; man spraying trees without mask; child labor
1965 March on Sacramento: police line in Delano; Gov. Edmund Pat Brown; Cezar Chavez; Dolores Huerta; UFW flags and Virgin Mary flag at head of march; nuns, children in march
Picketing the Federal Building, San Francisco: “No more braceros”; “Harvest of Plenty for Farmers. Hunger for Workers”
AFL-CIO meeting: George Meany; unionists in suits and ties
Documents: newspaper headlines; agricultural hearings; Imperial County Temporary Injunction; newspaper story on pesticide poisoning
Archive Contents and Stock Footage of Peace and Anti-war Movements
- 1962 HUAC demonstration, Los Angeles
- Port Chicago: demonstrators confront police in front of sign “United States Naval Weapons Station Concord California”; demonstrators block gate; helmeted cops club and arrest demonstrators
- November 15, 1969 and April 24, 1970: demonstrations in San Francisco in which tens of thousands marched against the war in Vietnam; picketing City Hall after arrests, sit-in demonstrators arrested
Archive Contents and Stock Footage of the Civil Rights Movement
- Protest march during the 1964 Republican Convention in San Francisco, addressed by James Foreman of C.O.R.E. on the platform with Jackie Robinson, Nelson Rockefeller, his wife, Happy, and Henry Cabot Lodge
- Mississippi and Louisiana: horse-drawn plow; woman washes clothes in wash tubs in yard; “Colored Only” sign; courthouse with Confederate flag; children on porch, houses on delta; KKK sign; debutante ball with Confederate uniforms; New Orleans and other street scenes; poor wood houses flooded; rich farm with horses, dogs and black help; loading cotton
- SNCC and the Movement: Amzie Moore speaking to black farmers; women, men and boys speaking to the camera; Fannie Lou Hamer on porch, speaking, singing; voter registration office scenes, integrated office staff
Archive Contents and Stock Footage of Environment, Logging and Mining
- Mining in the Mesabi range, Arizona, Idaho; smelters, machinery, dump sites; Butte open pit; strip mines
- Logging in California, Oregon, Georgia, Florida, and the Rockies: felling giant redwoods; clear cutting; high wire crane; lumber and pulp mills with mill ponds and cold decks, etc.; logs on trucks and trains and on ships sailing out of San Francisco Bay; “Boise-Cascade”, “Louisiana Pacific” and no trespass signs; hot air balloon lifting logs; seedlings; Paul Bunyan; early logging equipment
- Timber machinery for cutting, stacking, hauling, milling, transporting, and loading logs on trucks, trains, and ships
- Pollution: West Coast, Philadelphia, and Detroit industrial activity; factory chimneys; dumping into land fills; dirty water emptying into rivers; junk yard, coke plant, refinery, power stations, U.S. Steel plant; Santa Barbara oil spill
- Suburban sprawl: aerial photography of tract home construction; houses on hills in fault zones and at ocean’s edge; cracked retaining walls; headlines; freeway traffic
- Natural environments: ocean beaches, marshes, bays, rivers, mud flats and salt flats; mountains, foothills, grasslands anddesert foliage; flocks of birds taking off from wetlands
- Northern California: flood of January 1965, Delta levee breaks, Golden Gate Bridge, Bay Bridge, Redwood City Harbor, Sausalito, Golden Gate Park, Diablo canyon nuclear plant, Coos Bay Harbor, Foster City, aerial photography of the San Francisco Bay, North Bay, Rio Vista, San Andreas Lake, Menlo Park-Sharon Heights, South San Francisco, early views of San Francisco
- The subjects above give only a general overview of the unused footage from Richards films. For detailed description, see the PDF of Harvey Richards Archival Holdings.
- Film makers, musicians, documentarians, scholars, museums, and publishers have found great material in the archive, as illustrated by some of the projects that have included Harvey Richards’ footage.